Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, May 14, 2012

Info Post
liverpool-1

Summer travel guide, part two! This week, we're heading to England to check out Liverpool - and Rebecca of It's Cohen is sharing her favorite local haunts. As an English student at the University of Liverpool and style blogger (she has some of the best outfit posts around), she's gotten to know the city well. So grateful to have her as a guest blogger!

Where to eat? Thankfully, Liverpool has something to cater for every craving. For lunch I love The Egg Cafe, which is hidden up two flights of stairs which you find through the bright purple doorway on Newington. Serving only vegan food, you would assume the menu's limited but there's a surprising range - and it's cheap! I keep going back for the wonderful views of the city centre. If I'm going out in the evening for a meal, I prefer The Quarter as it's slightly out of the town centre, which is perfect to get away from the crowds. Yet it's always full with locals who keep coming back for its amazing food (the goat cheese and caramelised balsamic onion pizza is a personal favourite).

Best coffee shop? My friends and I have developed a habit of going to Cuthbert's Bakehouse between lectures. It's a handy five minute walk away from campus, but once you're inside and sitting in one of the cushioned chairs, you can eat the prettiest cupcakes with your cup of tea whilst listening to the Beatles. The cupcake I chose this time is mint chocolate - it even had an after eight as decoration!

Favorite afternoon excursion? I studied Art until I went to university, and I still paint and draw in my spare time. Liverpool has its own Tate gallery by the Docks, but I much prefer the Walker Art Gallery. The Walker has everything from the Medieval times through to modern British works, including a few pieces by Freud. The Renaissance and Romantic rooms tie in perfectly with my work, but that just gives me another excuse to wander round the rooms for hours until I find "The Blessed Damozel" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (which is my favourite ever painting).

liverpool by rebecca of it's cohen
liverpool by rebecca of it's cohen liverpool by rebecca of it's cohen

Favorite evening entertainment? Leaf on Bold Street has possibly the biggest selection of teas I have ever seen - how terribly British! By day it's a tea room, but as the sun goes down the music is turned up and people swap their Earl Grey for organic cider. There is always an event on, from life painting to gigs, but my favourite is their open mic every Tuesday. You can tell that Liverpool is home to some of the best musicians the world's ever seen (you may have heard of the Beatles?).

Where to shop? Liverpool has some of the best high street shops; four floors of Topshop, pretty lace dresses in Whistles, and plenty of charity shops (I think they're called thrift stores in America). There are plenty of vintage stores too - Raiders is my favourite. A wall of tutus and a rail almost buckling under the amount of jumpers it owns, you can always find something to take home with you, as my bank balance unfortunately is aware of.

Favorite neighborhood? Last year my Halls of Residence (what we call student accommodation) was in Mossley Hill, slightly south of the town centre. It has some lovely independent shops and cafes, such as Pi on Rose Lane, but the Field of Hope is beautiful in spring - a field planted completely with daffodils.

What travel advice would you give to those visiting Liverpool for the first time? Liverpool is known for two things - its music and its football (never ever question our loyalty!). Prepare to go to the Cavern Club to see where the Beatles performed, as well as to see every other person wearing a scarf sporting either red for Liverpool FC or blue for Everton. Without trying to sound like I work for their tourist board, Liverpool is perfect day and night - even if it did take me a long time to get used to the accent!

Thanks so much, Rebecca!

0 comments:

Post a Comment