Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, December 5, 2010

Info Post
IMG_4619

Sewing Saturday! This week, I worked on my camel wool cape with plaid wool lining. I finished the front and back darts, as well as the arm holes - a part of the project that was very new to me.

IMG_4487
IMG_4488
IMG_4494
IMG_4497
IMG_4498

First, the front darts. I marked the two matching darts, sewed the two dotted lines together, then trimmed them with pinking shears and pressed them open.

IMG_4612
IMG_4500
IMG_4504
IMG_4507

Then, I began the arm openings. I marked the stitching lines on the front of the cape and stitched around it to reinforce the opening.

IMG_4511
IMG_4514
IMG_4517

When I originally cut the fabric, I was required to cut four small rectangles (welts) out. They are to be used for the arm holes. I ironed them shut halfway, lengthwise, with right sides out. I then marked them according to the pattern.

IMG_4608
IMG_4627
IMG_4630

I sewed the folded welts to the arm opening stitching on the outside front of the cape, making sure to match the marked lines and dots to the stitching lines and ends. Once I was finished, I cut the arm openings down the middle with diagonal lines to each corner. Then, I folded the welts inward to the inside of the cape.

IMG_4635
IMG_4641
IMG_4644

I pressed the arm openings, then stitched along the top and bottom edges of the openings. That's how to create arm holes!

IMG_4487
IMG_4660
IMG_4666

I also had time to finish up a couple of small darts in the cape back, as well.

For next week, I'll be putting the entire cape together. There's a Christmas festival in downtown Franklin that I'd love to wear this cape to, as my winter coat I've been wearing lately is not as warm as I originally thought. Maybe two layers of wool will be enough? Speaking of, I'm excited to line my first sewing project.

Shop update tomorrow.. hope everyone had a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment