Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, October 23, 2010

Info Post
sewing saturday.. making a winter wool cape
sewing saturday.. making a winter wool cape

I've never been this excited about a sewing project! Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be making a tan wool cape with peter pan collar and matching plaid wool lining! What do you guys think?

The pattern is from the 1970's, complete with some pretty painful styling on the front. It didn't really catch my attention until I started imagining it in wool and plaid.. and then when I spotted this Karen Millen cape, I knew I had to make one for myself.

Also, I've never messed around with interfacing or lining (or peter pan collars, for that matter), and this pattern calls for both. It'll be a challenge, but I'm sure it's worth it.

sewing saturday.. making a winter wool cape

Supplies you'll need for this project.. a bit over two yards of tan wool, two yards of matching plaid wool for the lining, 1/2 yard of medium weight interfacing for the collar, two matching buttons, and then the usual - pinking shears, pins, sharp sewing scissors, measuring tape, matching thread, and an iron.

First, I prepared the pattern pieces by trimming and ironing them out.

IMG_0741
IMG_0739
IMG_0746

Then, I prepared the fabric by ironing it out. I followed the cutting layout and pinned the pattern pieces to their proper places.

IMG_0784
IMG_0796
IMG_0793
IMG_0754

I pinned the under collar and neck tab to the facing, then cut out all of the pieces.

IMG_0768
IMG_0764

Yay! That's all for this week. I guess cutting, pinning, and ironing takes a bit longer when you add lining and interfacing to the mix? Hope all is well with you guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment