Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, May 26, 2011

Info Post
edwardian white

Photos by Neil!

Edwardian White Lawn Dress - courtesy of Kim Vintage
Two Tone Oxfords - Southern Thrift
Daisy Hair Comb - handmade

I lucked out the last time I met up with Kim. Kim is a good friend of mine who I meet with regularly to have coffee and sort through her storage rooms completely filled with vintage stock (including dresses worn by the coolest old country stars back in the day). I think she once took inventory, and she has over 6500 pieces? Anyway, the last time we met she lent me three dresses, one of which is this lovely edwardian lawn dress.. ethereally lightweight and simple, breathable, embroidered with intricate detail. When I saw it, I immediately thought of my sister Rhi's wedding coming up (she's been looking for a simple antique dress to buy for the ceremony), but when it didn't work out, I decided to wear it for an afternoon before returning it to Kim.

edwardian white
edwardian white
edwardian white
edwardian white
edwardian white
edwardian white
edwardian white

I conveniently forgot my hairbrush in my friend's car recently so my hair is probably accurate for the period.. unkempt. Not intentional.

I watched The Bostonians the other day and haven't really gotten Edwardian style dress out of my mind. I'm usually a big fan of Merchant Ivory films, but that one was by far my least favorite.. I didn't like any of the characters, which made me lose interest in the story and their goals and the dramatic finale (for those who know the story, is that Henry James' fault or the filmmakers? from the reviews, I'm having a hard time figuring out which). Not that it means I won't be taking screenshots later.. the movie had some beautiful costumes and the beachfront scenes were equally lovely.

And on another note, I'm making plenty of daisy hair combs for the vintage sale coming up next week in East Nashville! It might be my favorite hair piece I've made so far, and it's really simple. More soon.

Be sure to check out Kim's shop, and if you're in Nashville, her pieces are for sale at the Downtown and Tennessee Antique Malls (where you might catch me now and then!).

edwardian white

0 comments:

Post a Comment