Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, July 22, 2011

Info Post
the bostonians

So as it turns out, I'm stuck at home with a sinus infection and bronchitis. NOT cool. I've never had either of these before and they kind of suck.

Fortunately I have antibiotics, a kitchen stocked full of chicken noodle soup and ice cream, a husband that's not afraid of germs, and Netflix. So last night, Neil and I watched movies and ate soup. And I managed to take some screenshot photos of The Bostonians, a 1980s film based on the Henry James novel of the same name.

This film is actually one of my least favorite Merchant Ivory films. The story centers on a young woman torn between allegiances to the feminist movement (which includes her opportunist parents and a reserved, rather lifeless lesbian, played by Vanessa Redgrave) and an uncharismatic southern gentleman (played by Christopher Reeve). Neither side is likable, unfortunately. I finished the film with little care or concern for any of the characters, least of all the main character, Verena Tarrant, who couldn't stop talking and yet had nothing to say. At least she had lovely hair.

The costumes and scenery are worthwhile, however. The English countryside, complete with its rocky coasts and overgrown gardens, were full of muted color, and the Victorian details on the button-down dresses and white underclothes were perfect. The simplest dresses were by far the best. There's one scene where Verena wears some sort of green ivy woven through her thick hair and it turns out beautifully, and a beachfront picnic complete with old-school swimwear is hard to miss. I can't wait to get back to sewing.

the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians
the bostonians

More screenshots can be found here.

There will be no Sewing Saturday this weekend as I recover, but I should be better by Monday for a shop update and special sale! I'm really hoping to get better soon.. I'm bad at doing nothing.

Happy weekend! Hope you're staying healthy.

the bostonians

0 comments:

Post a Comment