Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, May 27, 2010

Info Post
karen elson show at grimey's

Photos by Neil, Dad, and me!

AGH, so I'm going to blame my blog tardiness on the fact that I've been sick for the past few days. I have a cold, which really wouldn't be so bad save for the aches and pains that make even my jaw hurt. But no more complaining. It didn't stop me from attending Karen Elson's show yesterday, and it won't stop me from announcing the Timely Vintage giveaway winner.

So, without further announcement.. the winner of the giveaway is Rebecca of Zang Wow! Rebecca happens to be a Greenville College friend of mine and an insanely creative girl, so I'm super happy to see her win this. Yay, Rebecca!

Thanks to all who entered. I have another exciting giveaway planned for the near future.. I'll keep you guys posted!

Well, I'm sure it's no surprise that the Karen Elson show at Grimey's last night was magic.

karen elson show at grimey's
karen elson show at grimey's
karen elson show at grimey's

Before the show, I had listened to a couple of Karen's songs and while they sounded good to me, they were nothing compared to the live performance. The harmonies and accordion added so much to the show, and Karen's adorable candor and accent made her easy to listen to and love.

Meeting Karen Elson after the show was the absolute highlight. She wasn't at all what I expected a British folk singer/established model/vintage store owner/Lula guest editor/wife of Jack White to be like.. she was genuine, sweet, humble, almost unpolished (which I mean in the absolute best of ways). She was herself, grateful to be playing her music, seemingly surprised to be noticed.. how is that even possible, when she's so accomplished in so many fields? But while I'm painfully biased, I'm also speaking the truth. She calls herself a "strange bird" in a recent Annie Lebowitz-photographed interview, and it must be true. Karen's a British Vogue model living in Nashville with two kids and a Detroit bred husband.. you've got to be a little strange to blend such inconsistencies so seamlessly.

I asked for a photo with her and told her that her issue of Lula was the best, and I loved her style. She was lovely to me, told me that she liked my dress, and said what a wonderful lady Leith Clark was. You guys, Karen Elson is the greatest.

(By the way, for my fellow Raconteurs and Dead Weather fans.. see that familiar face in the center right of the first photo? Little Jack Lawrence was there for support with his photographer wife. He's hard to miss, dressed in black like Johnny Cash with his long hair and old school glasses.)

karen elson show at grimey's
karen elson show at grimey's
karen elson show at grimey's
karen elson show at grimey's

Did you catch her cool platforms?

Neil and I did a mini photo shoot before the performance. The dress is the eyelet lace trimmed one I found at the flea market.. I thought it'd be a good dress to wear to the performance, because it's so feminine and prairie looking, as well as a longer length than I'm used to. Maybe Karen Elson-ish? Oh I sure hope so.

what I wore to the karen elson show
what I wore to the karen elson show
what I wore to the karen elson show
what I wore to the karen elson show
what I wore to the karen elson show

Here is a short video (the song Cruel Summer) I filmed of the performance to leave you with!

1 comments: